Creators: Sally J. Pla, Merriam Saunders, Kate Piliero, and Adriana White
Date Updated: January 2, 2023
A Novel Mind is an excellent resource for children’s literature. The books recommended on this site cover topics such as Mental Health, Autism, Self-Esteem, Bullying and much more.
The information on this page is summarized from A Novel Mind.
A Novel Mind provides a comprehensive database (an in-page spreadsheet) that lists more than 1,000 books. The spreadsheet, which you can download or print, allows you to sort the resources by:
- Topic (e.g., Anxiety, Neurodiversity, Dyslexia, OCD, etc.)
- Author (e.g., Summer Macon, Bree Barton, James Bird, etc.)
- Summary (a description of the book)
- Occurring in (e.g., Child, Parent, Sibling, etc.)
- Age Group (e.g., Picture Book, Young Adult, Older Middle Grade, etc.)
- Genre (e.g., Contemporary, Verse, Mystery, etc.)
- Cover (the book cover)
- Publisher (e.g., Fitzroy Books, Harper Collins, Quill Tree Books, etc.)
- Year (the year published)
- Stars or Awards (e.g., Amazon’s Editor Pick, JLGgold, A Junior Guild Selection, etc.)
- Author Website (the author’s website, when available, for more information about the book)
A Novel Mind has collected resources for librarians and educators that list websites and articles that will help you learn more about different topics, including:
- Mental Health
- Autism Resources (Mainly)
- ADHD/Other Disabilities
- Greif Resources
- Sel & Story Resources
- Book Guides and Resources
- Presentations & PD
The website has a blog attached to it where the book authors and guest writers post book recommendations, reviews, and information about different topics. The newest blog posts include:
- Middle Grade Books Roundup (Invisible/Visible Disabilities) by Amanda Hunt lists the author’s favourite books with invisible and visible disabilities.
- TORCH: Neurodiversity, Mental Illness, + Resistance is a post by the book’s author, Lyn Miller Lachmann, that describes and summarized the titled book.
- Children’s Grief Awareness Day by Adriana White discusses grief and how it is a difficult and complicated subject. She provides books that adults can use to support children who are grieving.
- Book Review: ‘The Big Worry Day’ by K.A. Reynolds (Anxiety), written by Vasilia Graboski (MS, LLP, Child Therapist) discusses how this book can help children with anxiety.
Visit A Novel Mind website.
Hunt, A. (2022, December 14). Amanda Hunt: Middle grade books roundup (invisible/visible disabilities). A Novel Mind Blog. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/post/amanda-hunt-middle-grade-books-roundup-invisible-visible-disabilities
Graboski, V. (2022, November 2). Book review: ‘the big worry day’ by K.A. Reynolds (anxiety). A Novel Mind Blog. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/post/book-review-the-big-worry-day-by-k-a-reynolds-anxiety
Lachmann, L. M. (2022, December 7). Lyn Miller Lachmann: Torch: Neurodiversity, mental illness, + resistance. A Novel Mind Blog. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/post/lyn-miller-lachmann-torch-neurodiversity-mental-illness-resistance
Pla, S. J., Saunders, M., Piliero, K., & White, A. (Eds.). (n.d.). A Novel Mind. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/
Pla, S. J., Saunders, M., Piliero, K., & White, A. (Eds.). (n.d.). Blog. A Novel Mind. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/blog
Pla, S. J., Saunders, M., Piliero, K., & White, A. (Eds.). (n.d.) Database. A Novel Mind. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/database
Pla, S. J., Saunders, M., Piliero, K., & White, A. (Eds.). (n.d.). Resources. A Novel Mind. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/educator-resources
White, A. (2022, November 17). Adriana White: Children’s grief awareness day. A Novel Mind Blog. Retrieved January 4, 2023, from https://www.anovelmind.com/post/adriana-white-children-s-grief-awareness-day