Creator: Digital Education Strategies, The Chang School
Date Updated: October 21, 2022
This free ebook contains essential information for web developers and organizations that want to ensure their digital content is fully accessible. The information is presented as various readings, hands-on activities, and a self-administered test to take at the end of each chapter. It is licensed under Creative Commons ShareAlike 4.0, which allows anyone to redistribute the material in any medium or format and adapt it for any purpose, even commercially.
The information is summarized from the book Professional Web Accessibility Auditing Made Easy by Digital Education Strategies, The Chang School.
- The Professional Web Accessibility Auditing Made Easy ebook discusses creating an “auditing toolkit” that includes the following tools so that you can create an accessible website:
- Install assistive technologies (the book suggests ChromeVox) that you will use to evaluate your website.
- Read and reference the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1).
- Add a website accessibility checker to your toolkit, like the WAVE Accessibility Evaluation tool.
- Use free contrast checkers for your website, like the WebAIM Contrast Checker.
- To see if the language on your site is accessible, use a readability tool like the Readability Test Tool.
- Use the Inspect Element tool (found in most browsers) to view the code and evaluate the accessibility of the web page.
The Chang School Digital Education Strategies (2019). Professional Web Accessibility Auditing Made Easy. Book. Retrieved from: https://pressbooks.library.ryerson.ca/pwaa/